Promotion is key to the success of your crowdfunding campaigns. Having eye-catching and informative promo images can help boost your campaign sales…the problem is, many of us aren’t too savvy when it comes to programs like Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator. Not to worry though! The Fabrily Team has discovered a useful graphic design site that makes creating promotional images easy. The best part about Canva is that it’s free to use and you don’t need to be a graphic designer to create great promo images!
Canva enables you to create flyers and cover images for Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest, as well as Facebook ad images, business cards, and much more!, There are tons of pre-designed layouts and you’re able to create completely custom images too.
The importance of using promo images:
- Updating your Facebook or Twitter cover image enables you to make an impression as soon as someone visits your page.
- Promo images provide the opportunity to showcase the various items available within your campaign
- They’re an easy way to give supporters all the info they need, like what’s available and where to get it
- Promo images are easily shareable; your supporters can also help you promote your crowdfunding campaign by sharing the promo images you have created; more shares can equal more purchases!
What to include in your promo images:
There are 3 things you should aim to include in all of your promo images:
- Call to action: “Reserve your limited edition item today!”, “Reserve today!”, “Get yours today!”, “Support our cause!”
- Campaign URL: Include the campaign URL so people know where to purchase your item
- Showcase items available in your campaign: feature mockups of the products available within your campaign so that people can see there is a variety of item types to choose from
How to use Canva to create promo images
Below is a short video in which Fabrily Campaign Manager Anna explains how to use Canva to create promotional images yourself.
Now that you’ve learned how to create free promotional images for your crowdfunding campaign…you’re ready to to get started!
Optimize item mockups for promo images – how to create transparent background for mockups!
In the video you might have noticed that the garments featured in our promo images and the video tutorial have transparent backgrounds; as most of us aren’t familiar with photoshop or adobe, we’ll explain how to make the background transparent using a free website called Lunapic.
- Go to your Fabrily campaign page
- Right click on the garment image you want to feature in your promo image and “save as” a PNG to your computer.
- To remove the white background go to 166.lunapic.com
- Select “BROWSE” where it reads “edit a photo” on the homepage and select the garment image you saved from your campaign page
- Once the image is uploaded, click on the ‘scissors’ icon ()
- In the center of the screen where it reads, “Tool:”, click the dropdown menu and select ‘Magic Wand’ . Make sure to reduce the “Threshhold %” to 8.
- Trace/Click the outline of the garment with the magic wand, until the entire outline of the garment is highlighted in red
- Once it’s highlighted, click ‘Cutout’, which is located towards the top center of the screen. The image will then reappear with a transparent background.
- Save the new image to your computer by selecting “Save To: Your Computer” which is located in the lower, center part of the screen. Now you’re ready to add it to your promo image!
There are other websites you can use to create eye-catching images for your campaigns. If Canva’s templates do not include the colours/designs/images you have been searching for, check out PiktoChart instead.