What is Pinterest?
So, what is Pinterest exactly? It’s a highly visual pinboard site that lets you “pin” or collect images from the Web. You can create different boards to help categorize/organize your images and add descriptions for each image too. As one of the world’s most popular social networking sites, Pinterest should be a top choice as a free, useful tool for promoting your crowd-funding or fundraising campaign. Below you will find useful information on Pinterest’s smart feed, promoted pins and plugins that can boost sales and traffic to your campaign page.
Why use Pinterest?
- It’s a great platform for increasing your brand’s awareness and encouraging the online community to engage with you.
- Information can be processed very quickly when it’s seen as an image or picture.
- Pinterest makes it possible to drive more traffic to your campaign and leverage shareable images
- It’s a convenient and free way to promote products featured in your crowd-funding campaign
How to use Pinterest to promote your crowd-funding campaign
1. After you’ve created a Pinterest account, set up a special board promoting your campaign – you need to create a board in order to organize and collect items you want to feature. Go to your Pinterest profile page and select the option to “Create a Board”. A box will pop up asking you to name your board, add a description, and categorize it. Once you create a board you can start “pinning” items from your campaign.
Note – When you first start using Pinterest make sure to create other pinboards (ex. favorite quotes, great causes, etc.) within your profile; “like” other people’s pins and re-pin other pins to your boards. This will help you attract new followers who can potentially purchase items from your campaign and/or share your pins to boost exposure.
2. To upload a pin directly from your campaign page select the small circular “plus sign” symbol on the bottom right corner of the page. A menu will appear once you click the button, select “Pin from a website”. A small pop-up message will appear where you can paste your campaign URL, select “next”. The page will reload with multiple images from your campaign page to choose from; select the image you want to use for your pin, click on the red “Pin it” button on the left hand corner of the image.
Click the “plus sign” icon to upload a new pin as shown above
Select the red “Pin it” button in the top left-hand corner.
3. After you’ve selected your pin image, add a description for the pin; you can include a call to action within the description (e.g “Amazing Campaign – Buy now and help our cause!”), explain what you’re raising funds for or how the design was created; include information you think customers will be interested in and add hashtags related to your pin.
Additional tips for your pin description:
- Start with a compelling headline
- Include additional information about the campaign
- Use a call-to-action and link to the campaign
- By adding hashtags your pin will become more search-friendly. Add 3-5 hashtags related to your campaign – Pinterest works in the same way as Facebook or Twitter; by adding hashtags and keywords, people will be able to find yours pins more easily.
- Before adding the description of the pin, you might want to try typing in the “Search” box at the top of the screen to see if any keywords/hashtags are actively used by the Pinterest community. For example if you are a shark organization, we recommend including the related terms #shark, #charity #marine #ocean in your pin description; make your pins easy to find!
Note – Make sure the redirect source URL of a pin is to your campaign page; when users click on your pin you want them to be taken to your campaign page where they can place an order.
4. Pin & share photos of your supporters and like their pins– encourage Pinterest users to post their own images of the items they’ve purchased from your campaign. This is a great way to get people excited about your crowd-funding campaign and any other campaigns you plan to run in the future. Click here for more info on post-campaign promotion.
You are now ready to start using this powerful tool to attract more supporters/buyers and grow your brand. Good luck!